Are you moving sooner or later? It is never too early to start preparing for it. Most people may start by getting the essential packaging materials and maybe contacting a moving company to get a quote. Both strategies are not wrong, but you should make a checklist for your move. As your moving date gets closer, you are most likely under pressure to get everything done in a short time.
Making a list of some of the moving supplies you will need before relocating will make a huge difference by saving your time and getting rid of unnecessary stress. Also, having a checklist of what you intend to do will come in handy. This guide has been carefully curated to serve as a blueprint for making a moving supplies checklist. Whether you are relocating on your own or hiring a moving company, this list will always serve the same purpose for your pre-move process.
This exclusive checklist will suffice when planning your relocation. All of these items can be gotten from stores that sell moving supplies, or you can contact your moving company if they will be providing them.
What May Be Needed for Packaging
- Boxes: These are important packaging materials you will need. They come in different sizes, and you will need them all the same. However, you will need more small and medium boxes than the large ones. Remember that heavier items should go into the small boxes while small items should go to the large boxes. This is to make carrying them easy.
- Wardrobe Boxes: Wardrobe boxes transport your hanging clothing and keep them safe and secure. They usually come with a metal bar for hanging clothes; this is simply what differentiates them from regular boxes.
- Dish Pack Boxes:These are designed to pack fragile kitchen utensils and breakables. They are thick and double-walled to provide enough cushion for items placed in them – you may still use some packing paper to support them, though. Consider using these boxes for your ceramic and breakable plates to reduce cumulative damage.
- Picture Boxes: Picture boxes are for packing frames and glass, and they come in either 2 or 4 pieces that adjust to the size of the items packed in them. However, regular boxes can also serve the same purpose. You have to open them up and wrap them around the picture frames.
- Plastic Storage Containers:These containers/bins are often used in-house, but they can also come in handy when relocating. One big advantage is that they have a longer lifespan than packing boxes. So, they can be reused after serving the usual purposes in the home.
- Moving Storage Bags: These light foldable bags always come in handy for quick travels or relocation when you throw everything in the bag. They can always be used for packing lightweight clothes, duvets, curtains, pillows, bed sheets, etc.
- Packing Paper:Packing papers are one of the materials you will be needing during your relocation process. They are ideal for wrapping fragile items. You will need a lot of it, but ensure you get only the ink-free ones, so it doesn’t smear your items.
- Bubble Wrap: Bubble wrap can insulate spaces along the sides of boxes and surround fragile things.
- Packing Tape: Packing tapes are very much needed to seal up boxes after you’ve packed them full with items. Ensure you get high-quality tapes because they will also be useful for building boxes and sealing up wrapped items.
- Razor Knife: These are ideal for cutting packaging tape and opening boxes. Just be careful when using it, so you don’t slit your clothes when opening boxes.
- Markers: Markers are required to label your boxes and maintain track of your possessions. Ensure that you have the boxes labelled according to room; you’ll be glad you took the effort to do so when it is time to unpack.
- Toolbox: Tools like screwdrivers, wrenches, and pliers must be nearby because you will need them to assemble and dismantle furniture and electronics. Having them packed in one toolbox will save you the stress of thinking about where each tool is.
What May Be Needed for Lifting and Carrying Heavy Loads
- Dollies:There are quite different types depending on what you’re carrying – utility dollies, furniture dollies, and appliance dollies. They are used for moving heavy items and boxes from the house to the truck and back.
- Lifting Straps:Lifting straps are DIY for lifting heavy boxes and furniture into the truck and back. They are designed to distribute the weight evenly along the length of the rope.
- Cargo Straps: These straps are used for holding the items firmly to the truck, so they don’t move around.
- Moving Trucks: If you are doing your move yourself, you should consider renting a truck to carry all your belongings and transport them. A moving company will usually have moving trucks, which will be covered in your moving cost.
Tips for Choosing the Right Materials
- Make a list of all items required: This will provide you with a comprehensive list of all the packing goods you’ll require. Take special note of any delicate or precious objects that will necessitate the use of additional packaging materials.
- Create a list of supplies:Knowing what you’ll be transporting to your new home will help you determine how many moving materials you’ll require for fragile goods.
- Purchase quality boxes: Check for a box maker’s certificate (BMC) on any boxes you buy, which certifies that the box has been tested to carry a specified weight.
- Planning and maintaining lists: As expected, you must have created a moving supplies checklist with this guide. You must stick to the list and adhere strictly to it.
- Stacking boxes at the exit: After packing all your belongings, arrange them in boxes and tape them firmly. Move the boxes and stack them at the exit to make it easier to move into the truck with or without a dolly.
- Creating boxes of the right size: Create boxes of similar sizes before moving. If you have ten small boxes, ensure the sizes are the same. This will be helpful when arranging them in the truck.
- Photographing equipment and electrical connectors: It is advisable to keep a record of electrical connections before moving. One way to do this is to take photographs of all the appliances, equipment, and electrical connection, so you don’t get them wrong when reassembling them at your new home.
Thank you for reading our article. You can always order the services of Starkmovers company. Here is a list of our most popular services:
We are waiting for your calls!